The K Line serves the communities of West Adams, Jefferson Park, Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park, Hyde Park, Inglewood, Westchester and more. Fourteen artists were commissioned to create integrated public artworks at the stations: Ingrid Calame, Eileen Cowin, Kenturah Davis, Dean Erdmann, Sherin Guirguis, Carlson Hatton, Mara Lonner, Rebeca Méndez, Geoff McFetridge, Erwin Redl, Kim Schoenstadt, Jaime Scholnick, Shinique Smith and Mickalene Thomas. Find out more about the K Line here.
>> Take a self-guided K Line art tour with a Metro Art Guide brochure!
>> K Line Artist Mini Docs: Learn more about their artworks and the artist selection process.
- Rebeca Méndez, At the Same Time
- Erwin Redl, Inside Out – Outside In – Inside Out
- Jaime Scholnick, Layered Histories
Martin Luther King Jr.
- Eileen Cowin, You are heading in the right direction
- Mara Lonner, Leimert Park Landscape
- Shinique Smith, Only Light, Only Love
Aviation/Century – Opening date to be announced
ARTIST SELECTION PROCESS
Metro-commissioned artists are selected through an open, competitive process following the recommendation of a panel of community-based arts professionals. Hear reflections from Karen Mack and Michael Massenberg, two of the artist selection panelists for the K Line.
IN THE COMMUNITY
>> K Line Community Mini Docs: Hear from community members along the Crenshaw Corridor.
The K Line Transit Project Art Program included an ongoing series of Meet-the-Artist events, presentations, community engagement workshops, performances and exhibitions.
As part of efforts to mitigate visual impacts during project construction, temporary art banners were installed on construction site fences along the project corridor. Metro Art hosted a series of workshops at Lula Washington Dance Theater, KAOS Network, Inglewood Center for Spiritual Living, and Inglewood High to mentor local youth on designing banners that celebrate neighborhood icons. The series was coordinated through the nonprofit arts education organization artworxLA and was led by artist Michael Alvarez.
IN THE NEWS
- Hyperallergic: LA’s New Metro Line Opens With 14 Public Artworks (October 20, 2022)
- NBC LA: See the Station Artwork on the New Metro K Line (October 10, 2022)
- Streetsblog LA: Metro’s K Line Is Open! Rail Returns to Crenshaw Boulevard, the Heart of Black Los Angeles (October 7, 2022)
- LAist: PHOTOS: LA Metro’s Long-Awaited K Line Extension Is Finally Open, And We Went Along For A Ride (October 7, 2022)
- Flaunt Magazine: A Tap Card To The Future | Embracing South LA’s New Crenshaw Corridor K Line Via Art, Community, and a Touch of Fashion (October 6, 2022)
- Telemundo: Nueva línea de Metro que beneficiará a residentes del condado de Los Ángeles abrirá pronto (August 22, 2022)
- CBS LA: Hyde Park’s new Metro station dedicated to late rapper, activist Nipsey Hussle (August 8, 2022)
- Mass Transit Magazine: L.A. Metro holds dedication, ribbon cutting ceremony for K Line’s Martin Luther King Jr. Station (July 25, 2022)
- ABC 7: Pete Buttigieg takes first ride on Expo/Crenshaw K Line in South LA set to open in fall (July 8, 2022)
- Thrillist: How to Spend a Day in Leimert Park Village Exploring Black Culture (February 25, 2022)
- Forecast: FORWARD, Issue #2: Transportation “Facing Challenges Addressing Equity in Transportation” (February 2021)
- Metropolis Mag: Noteworthy: Artist Shinique Smith on Skins (October 9, 2020)
- OurWeekly Los Angeles: Crenshaw/LAX Transit Project nears completion (October 1, 2020)
- Hyperallergic: Meet LA’s Art Community: Sharing Inspiration With People of Color ‘Has Always Been a Priority’ for Shinique Smith (April 6, 2020)
- The Poly Post: Cal Poly Pomona’s Student Newspaper. “Lecturer’s art displayed in new Expo/Crenshaw Metro Station” (March 17, 2020)
- Artsy: These Emerging Black Artists Are the Future of Figurative Painting (February 11, 2020)
- Los Angeles Times: Meet six artists making the public art for Metro’s Crenshaw/LAX Line (November 11, 2019)
- KTLA: LA Metro Says Public Art Along New Crenshaw/LAX Line Will Represent Culture, Diversity of Areas (November 11, 2019)
- Spectrum News 1: Meet Artists Selected to Create Art for Metro’s Crenshaw/LAX Line (December 13, 2019)
- Streetsblog LA: Art, the Crenshaw/LAX Line, and the Stories We (Don’t) Tell at Train Stations” (November 1, 2018)
- Curbed LA: Watch a colorful glass mosaic for the Crenshaw Line come together (February 28, 2018)
- Hyperallergic: Mickalene Thomas, Shinique Smith, and Others Are Making Art for LA’s New Metro Line (January 24, 2018)
- Los Angeles Magazine: An Early Look at All the Artwork Coming to the Metro Crenshaw Line (January 22, 2018)
- Curbed LA: ‘Her’ rail map artist is designing art for LA’s light rail (February 17, 2017)
- Streetsblog LA: Fourteen Artists Named for the Crenshaw Line; What Can We Expect to See From Them? (April 17, 2015)
You must be logged in to post a comment.