EXTENDED DEADLINE: WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15 at 5 pm (PDT)
Metro Art invites arts and cultural organizations to apply to the 2022 Arts & Cultural Organization Pool
The Arts & Cultural Organization Pool builds on Metro Art’s long history of collaborating with community-based organizations in support of innovative, community-responsive, arts and cultural programs for transit. Arts and cultural organizations that meet the eligibility and successfully submit to the Pool will be considered for a range of future art opportunities with Metro.
Request for Qualifications
- To read the complete Request for Qualifications (RFQ), click here.
- To preview the application on SlideRoom, click here.
- Submit qualifications via SlideRoom no later than Wednesday,
June 1June 15, 2022 at 5:00 pm (PDT).
Please note: Only organizations are eligible apply to this call. Individual artists and/or artist teams are not eligible to apply.
Metro Art hosted an online information session for applicants on Thursday, April 21, 2022. This session covered a background on Metro Art, the Arts & Cultural Organization Pool, an overview of eligibility and application requirements. Applicants are encouraged watch this recording of it online.
Questions & Answers (Q & A)
Questions? Email us at email@example.com. Each week we will respond below to questions sent in the previous week. Please send all questions before Wednesday,
May 25 June 8, 2022 at 5 p.m. (PDT). The final group of answers will be posted on Friday, May 27 June 10, 2022.
Questions received 5/13/22 through 5/19/22
- Q: While we haven’t done in-person programming in all the neighborhoods that our work represents, we have researched, written, and developed illustrations for numerous neighborhoods in the city. Also, we’ve done online arts/cultural workshops during the pandemic which means our reach has been far beyond the neighborhoods where we’ve popped up in person. Can we mark these neighborhoods as those that our organization has a connection to and experience working with? A: If you believe that your organization has a connection to and experience working with a neighborhood, you may mark those neighborhoods and describe that connection in the narrative response within the SlideRoom application form.
Questions received 5/6/22 through 5/12/22
- Q: Will the application deadline be extended? A: Yes, we are extending the deadline from June 1, 2022 to June 15, 2022.
- Q: Does my organization need to be incorporated in California to be eligible? A: No, your organization does not need to be incorporated in California. Your organization must have active status as a registered business authorized to conduct business in the United States (Employer Identification Number required).
Questions received 4/22/22 through 4/28/22
- Q: I applied to the 2020 Metro Artist Pool, but then COVID happened. Am I still in the Pool? Or do I need to reapply? A: The 2020 Artist Pool is still active. Those who successfully submitted their information prior to the deadline for the 2020 Artist Pool are still in the Pool and do not need to reapply. While individual artists and artists teams are not eligible for the Arts & Cultural Pool, future open Calls to Artists will be posted to the Metro Art website and distributed through the Metro Art e-blasts. Please subscribe here to receive Metro Art updates.
- Q: Could you please clarify what happens after we submit our application for the Pool? Will you contact me to let us know if our organization made it into the Pool? Will you contact me about upcoming projects with Metro Art? Can I choose, suggest or propose what types of projects our arts and cultural organization would like to work on with Metro Art? A: All applicants that meet the eligibility criteria as described in the Call will be included in the Pool and considered for future opportunities. All applicants receive confirmation that they have successfully submitted their application at the time of submittal. As opportunities become available, we will refer to the Pool and shortlist organizations for appropriate opportunities based on project-specific criteria. Your organization will be contacted if shortlisted for an opportunity.
- Q: Is the application process the best way to suggest or present ideas for these particular projects or is there another medium or protocol to submit ideas? A: You are not asked for ideas at this phase as this Call to Arts & Cultural Organizations is a Request for Qualifications only. If shortlisted, the organization will be invited to develop project specific proposals as a next step.
- Q: If selected, does the site where your organization is located at need to relate to where a proposed art project might be implemented? A: An organization’s connection to a community may be criteria used to shortlist organizations for art opportunities. It is possible for an organization to demonstrate a strong connection to a community through past experience without being based in that community.
- Q: Are organizations that are fiscally sponsored by a non-profit organization eligible, or would the application need to be submitted directly by the fiscal sponsor? A: Yes, organizations fiscally sponsored by a non-profit organization are eligible and can submit their application directly through SlideRoom.
- Q: Are educational and performing arts organizations eligible to be in the pool? A: Yes, all types of arts and cultural organizations are eligible to be included in the Pool if the organization meets the eligibility criteria stated in the Call.
- Q: I have an idea for a project that does not resemble anything that Metro has ever done before. How can I suggest my idea? A: Organizations that are shortlisted for an opportunity may be asked to develop proposals (including ideas) that are appropriate for and in response to the project scope.
- Q: Does my organization need to be a 501(c)(3) to be eligible? A: No.
- Q: Our question is in regard to the eligibility requirement stating that the organization must have experience providing arts and cultural programs for a minimum of two years prior to the submittal deadline. Is there an understanding for the past years during COVID when organizations were shuttered for a time if the longevity of the arts work goes beyond those challenging years? A: The minimum of two years providing arts and cultural programs do not need to be consecutive, within the past two years and that time can be spread across multiple years.
- Q: Is my organization eligible if we serve many local communities and do not have a single permanent location? A: Yes.
- Q: Do the images and/or videos we upload for our application need to be from the past two years? A: Uploaded materials may reflect work completed within two years and beyond. The materials may include but are not limited to documentation of arts and cultural activities and educational content, research studies, exhibitions and/or artworks resulting from those programs. Materials should demonstrate the organization’s ability to meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the call.
- Q: If commissioned for a project, how much time will the organization have to complete the work? A: The completion schedule will vary and depend on the scope for each project.
- Q: How do I access the online application? A: Here is a direct link to the SlideRoom online application: https://metroart.slideroom.com/#/login/program/64988/gIbdAIskEE
- Q: How many opportunities will be available per year? A: The number of opportunities that become available will vary.
- Q: Our organization creates various types of arts and cultural programming and visual exhibits. What is the best way to indicate in our application that we would be interested in being considered for these types of opportunities with Metro Art? A: We will shortlist organizations for opportunities that best match the organization’s experience and skills as demonstrated in the application materials submitted. For example, selecting images and/or videos to submit that best showcases the types of work your organization does will help us match you with the most appropriate project opportunities that become available.
- Q: What if an organization that we would like to use as a reference also plans to submit an application? Would both of our organizations still be eligible for inclusion in the Pool? Or would this be considered a conflict? A: Organizations can list each other as references if you have worked with the organization on arts and cultural programs. Listing each other as references would not cause the organizations to be ineligible and would not be considered a conflict.
- Q: What are the types of artworks that Metro might want the arts and cultural organization to complete if commissioned for a project? A: The types of opportunities will vary and depend on the scope of each project. Not all project opportunities will result in an artwork and can range in types of deliverables. Anticipated opportunities include but are not limited to cultural programming, creative community engagement, cultural asset mapping, exhibition planning, educational and interpretive programs for people of all ages, tours, special events, community-specific arts related data collection and analysis, and artwork commissions.
- Q: How do you evaluate board participation? A: Board participation is not eligibility criteria for this Pool. If shortlisted, information about an organization’s board may be requested at the proposal stage to evaluate organizational capacity as it relates to a specific opportunity.
- Q: My organization is an arts related business. Is my organization eligible? Do we need to have a business license or permit to be eligible for inclusion in the Pool? A: All arts organizations that meet the eligibility criteria are eligible for this pool.
- Q: What type of professional reference should we list for an arts non-profit organization? A: You should list professional references of those who have worked on arts and cultural programming with your organization.
- Q: Could you please define “Organization” in the context of this Call? A: All applicants meeting the eligibility requirements outlined in the Call will be included in the Pool.
- Q: How often will Metro release a new Call to establish a Pool of arts and cultural organizations? A: The Arts & Cultural Organization Pool will remain active for a minimum of two years with the option to renew for up to two additional years.
- Q: Does the organization need to be located in LA County? A: No, the organization does not need to be located in LA County.
- Q: Should all the images and/or videos we upload to submit with our application only show one style of projects our organization has worked on? A: The uploaded materials may include but are not limited to documentation of arts and cultural activities and educational content, research studies, exhibitions and/or artworks resulting from those programs. Materials should demonstrate the organization’s ability to meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the call.
- Q: Do applicants need to have a specific project in mind when applying? Or would the proposal come later for applicants who are eligible to be included in the Pool? A: You are not asked to submit specific project ideas at this phase as this Call to Arts & Cultural Organizations is a Request for Qualifications only. Organizations that meet the eligibility criteria will be included in the Pool to be considered for opportunities with Metro. If shortlisted for an opportunity, the organization will be invited to develop project proposals.
Questions received 4/15/22 through 4/21/22
- Q: I would like to have the opportunity to display my art through LA Metro. Could you please let me know how I can do that? A: While individual artists and artists teams are not eligible for the Arts & Cultural Pool, future open Calls to Artists will be posted to the Metro Art website and distributed through the Metro Art e-blasts. Please subscribe to our Art Opportunities mailing list to receive Metro Art updates.
Questions received 4/4 through 4/14/22
- Q: I am a photographer who is on your list. Should I apply to this opportunity? A: Only organizations are eligible to apply to this Call. Individual artists and/or artist teams are not eligible to apply.
- Q: Is there an opportunity to apply to be included in a pool for individual artists? A: While individual artists and artists teams are not eligible for the Arts & Cultural Pool, future open Calls to Artists will be posted to the Metro Art website and distributed through the Metro Art e-blasts. Please subscribe to our “Art Opportunities” mailing list to receive Metro Art updates. We anticipate posting a new Call to Artists in the coming weeks. We encourage you to apply for these opportunities, if eligible, when they become available in the future.